Mr Howard Saxby, literary agent, was knitting a sock. He knitted a good deal, he would tell you if you asked him, to keep himself from smoking, adding that he also smoked a good deal to keep himself from knitting.
– P. G. Wodehouse, Cocktail Time, 1958, Source : The penguin Dictionary of modern humorous quotes.
This very night I am going to leave off tobacco! Surely there must be some other world in which this unconquerable purpose shall be realised.
– Charles Lamb, (1775-1834) British essayist., Letter to Thomas Manning, 26 Dec 1815 , Source : seen on the web.
For thy sake, tobacco, I would do anything but die.
– Charles Lamb, A Fare-well to Tobacco (1805), Source: The International Thesaurus of Quotations.
Perfection is such a nuisance that I often regret having cured myself of using tobacco.
-Emile Zola, (1840-1902) French writer, Source : seen on the web.
I tried to stop smoking cigarettes by telling myself I just didn’t want to smoke, but I didn’t believe myself.
– Barbara Kelly, Source : seen on the web.
The best way to stop smoking is to carry wet matches.
– Anonymous, Source : seen on the web.
To cease smoking is the easiest thing I ever did. I ought to know because I’ve done it a thousand times.
– Mark Twain, 1835-1910), Source : seen on the web.